photos and descriptions of what makes our world a pleasure
emphasis on Florida and the Tampa Bay area but also far beyond

Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish

by Hilton Kean Jones on April 3, 2008

in Florida, Food

Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish (1350 Pasadena Ave. S., St. Petersburg, FL 33707 — 727-381-7931; map) has been in operation for over 50 years. It’s a place locals love. I suppose there is the occasional tourist who wants something more high-falutin’ than this, but 99.99% of all the locals I know—and most tourists–dream about the food at Ted Peters. It’s rustic and it’s real. It’s the Florida I remember as a grade school kid visiting from Illinois. My parents would pack us in a 1950s Buick with no air-conditioning. We’d head down for our summer road trips to Mississippi and Florida. FLORIDA!… paradise for any Yankee.

Ted Peters has a very short menu. My personal favorites are the potato salad, fish spread, and the smoked mullet and smoked mackerel (when it’s in season). They also have smoked salmon. Many people swear by their cheeseburgers. I keep meaning to try one…but every time the smoked fish calls to me too loudly. That’s only the lunch sized portion of mullet pictured above; the complete dinner portion is considerably more. Their iced tea is freshly brewed and really helps one cope with August-in-Florida heat and humidity; that’s also true for their root beer in a frosty mug.

You can eat indoors or outdoors. They’re closed on Tuesdays and only take cash (this is not an uncommon practice in many local restaurants in St. Pete). It’s a very casual place, so no need to dress up at all.

The fish are red oak smoked (red oak is a Florida wood) right there on the property (the picture above is of the smoke house). If you’re an angler, they’ll smoke your fish for you for $1 a pound. Ted’s is in a part of St. Pete that’s technically South Pasadena, an area very near the water but before you get to the actual beaches. Fishermen are not uncommon at Ted’s. Same for bikers. Same for families. Same for everyone who loves “old Florida” charm and comfort food.

Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish on Urbanspoon

Most images link to larger images.
click on larger image for closeup

Bookmark and Share

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Katharine May 5, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Amen to Ted Paters’ smoked fish, fish spread, potato salad…but be sure to bring cash !!

CuZZ Don August 18, 2008 at 9:24 pm

If we can ever get down there this is where I want you to take us.I will bring my large net to catch the mullet.no problem there!

NW JONNY August 30, 2008 at 2:15 am

Greatest CheeseBurger on the planet…3rd best German Potato Salad on planet…Smoked Mackerel that will make you shudder, Mullet (not hair) that will bring you to your knees.
Spend $35 and your family is fed, your soul is recharged, and your neck is slightly (and better) redder.

susie June 1, 2009 at 5:40 pm

hello i was there memorial weekend and got smoked mullet god it was good i live in live oak would like to know if you send fish by mail i would like some more mullet and some mack. can you let me know….thanks susie

Hilton Kean Jones June 1, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Glad you liked the mullet. I sure do, too. I’m not affiliated with Ted Peters. I just write restaurant reviews for the website, Inkwatu. You’ll need to call Ted Peters directly.

Thanks,
Hilton

Karen November 19, 2009 at 8:53 pm

First time having smoked fish. Remembered seeing it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It is well worth it. Had the mahi mahi, potato salad and frosty root beer. It was wonderful. The portion was large; the fish was flavor-able. I always try german potato salad and it was great. Great meal.

Jack May 2, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I have been going to Ted Peters for years but this last time (April 2010) I was very disapointed. No bread and butter. $2.00 for an extra plate. Service was very bad and no Mackeral. I will find anoother place from now on……..

Kelly April 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Not impressed with the service tonight…or lack thereof….walked in around 6:30, no wait for seats at the bar. Sat there for 5 minutes with not less than probably 5 employees walking by behind the bar. Not ONE even acknowledged we were sitting there. I get when a place is packed but even then you can at least make some eye contact to let me know you see me….we got up and walked out before we ordered a thing. And to think, we stopped because Guy Fieri raved about the place. Whatever.

Eunice April 3, 2011 at 7:17 pm

We were remembering our childhood trips to the beach with our parents and our trips to Ted Peters. We were also celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful lunch. Our waitress was informative and delightful. We had the dinner portion and shared it and only wish we could have it here. It was worth the trip and will be repeated many more times. It was just like I remembered it or maybe even better. We would recommend everything on the menu and the key lime pie to end your meal was just perfect.

Karen Frioli June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

My Grandmother Opal Mullikin opened Ted Peters on South Pasaden with Mr. & Mrs. Peters. She was their first waitress, working side by side with them and remained friends for many years. I wonder if there are pictures of thier Grand Opening in 1950, or if anyone remembers my Grandmother. We are proud to have a history with that family and Ted Peters Smoked Fish! A great place for everyone!