photos and descriptions of what makes our world a pleasure
emphasis on Florida and the Tampa Bay area but also far beyond

European Goodies Polish Deli

by Hilton Kean Jones on April 1, 2009

in Florida, Food

click here for larger image

European Goodies, a Polish deli (4701 49th St. N., St. Petersburg, FL 33709; 727-526-1118) is just south of Zeko’s. 49th Street is, generally, one of the “blue collar” sections of St. Petersburg. That’s prized ethnic-food territory, for it is here–and along 34th Street that runs parallel to it–that, mixed among the body shops, auto AC shops, transmission repair, and plumbing supplies, one will find spectacular little groceries and restaurants specializing in specific ethnic cuisines.

European Goodies is just such a place. I recommend it highly. It specializes in Polish cuisine. The shelves and freezers are stocked with many imported items such as the authentic Polish pickles pictured here. But, the three most exciting features of this deli are (1) its homemade items, (2) its sausages, and (3) its little “restaurant,” a collection of about a half-dozen wooden tables (inside) where you can order and eat a home-cooked, Polish lunch. As for the sausages…I never knew there could be so many. I’ve never met a sausage I didn’t like. Next to noodles, they’re my favorite food (together and I’m in heaven). There had to have been about two dozen different kinds of sausages at European Goodies. But, it’s their homemade items to take home to finish preparing that took my heart this time.

click here for larger image

I bought a package of their homemade but freshly frozen pierogi (pictured below). A pierogi is, basically, a Polish pot sticker, a morsel of some filler within a square or circle of dough, folded over into a triangle, sealed, and cooked. That concept must exist in every culture with variations (Italian ravioli, Jewish kreplach, etc.). The pierogi I got at European Goodies had minced mushroom and sauerkraut filling.

The owner’s instructions were simple: take them home and brown them up in the skillet in some oil. So easy and so good. If you’d like to try your hand at making some from scratch, Krykiet.com has some recipes that look not too difficult. It’s also a good source for learning about other dishes to order at European Goodies. The next time I go to European Goodies, I’m going to have their golabki (stuffed cabbage)!

click here for larger image

European Goodies on Urbanspoon

Most images link to larger images.
click on larger image for closeup

Bookmark and Share

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

virginia October 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

im searching for polish ham and black bread

Chuck November 16, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Virginia,

You can buy Krakus Ham at Sweetbay or at BJ’s…

rick December 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

They have the closest thing to my mom’s kiska that I’ve ever had. Just excellent. Wonderful place

dave March 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Virginia,
Try the smoked ham at the deli. Had some my last trip down and it was out of this world.

joanna March 25, 2010 at 7:15 am

i tried sausage from other polish stores but none of them compares to yours. you have the BEST sausages – my favorite is the white sausage you can make zurek with. THE BEST!!!

Hilton Kean Jones March 25, 2010 at 7:20 am

I agree completely, but I just wanted to let you know that I’m not associated with the European Goodies Polish Deli in any way. I’m simply an independent reviewer who wrote an article about them. So, that means you need to call them and give them your compliment. I’m not sure of their phone number. I might be in my article…I usually include it if I know it. All the best…Hilton

Susan Hayes June 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

We are looking for authentic kiszka. Also some good kielbasa, beef salami sticks.

dave March 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Susan,
try http://www.martinrosolsinc.com. They are in Ct., but will mail anywhere. Limited online store, but the best kielbasa in the work. Have to pay with pay pal.

Mickey Thomas June 13, 2010 at 4:27 pm

BEST KIELB OUTSIDE SHENANDOAH PA. I had my friends bring me kielbo and pierogies on the train from PA but no longer. great store,great products. “WHO COULD ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE”????????????????

Pauline November 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I am looking for a store in the Tampa Bay area that sells fresh babka. Help! Thanks

Annette December 3, 2010 at 10:16 am

Jo-El’s kosher grocery in St. Pete has them. But why buy fresh? The frozen chocolate babka from Jo-El’s is even better – I have to force myself not to pick on it constantly!

Mary January 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm

My mother used to make her own pierogies (stuffed dumplings), golumbkes (stuffed cabbage rolls) and, sometimes, even her own fresh sausage. The food at European Goodies is much like my mother’s homemade — it’s THAT good!!! The Krakovska (garlic ham) is fantastic — but you’d better have garlic lovers around you or you’ll stink ‘em out!!! :-)
I HIGHLY recommend European Goodies!!! Enjoy!

Judy February 17, 2011 at 7:08 am

I haven’t had Keilbasa so authentic and Polish (before I even get home, my car smells like my Babcia’s house-wonderful memories linger then) since leaving Meriden, Connecticut some 40+ years ago. I’ve been going here for years and would be lost without their wonderful Polish cuisine. Thank you for all your hard work for us.

Karla April 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

Judy-When I found this jewel, the minute I walked in, it brought me back to Babcia’s house with our family gatherings..every Easter, every Christmas..It was wonderful! It smelled of her! I felt I was being hugged! Love this place..It’s like a big warm polish hug!

Berni July 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I am looking for a lunch meat that was popular in Chicago called minced ham. I cant find it anywhere.

Patricia Miller September 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Can someone help me, please…I am trying to locate a 55+ community for a Polish lady friend of mine who does not speak very much English…she would like to live in a community where she can socialize with other Polish residents in Pinellas County… Any suggestions?
If so, please call me at 727-433-2323
I will also be stopping by the deli to see if someone can help me there.

Cyndi Miller April 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Went to a funeral recently at St. Paul’s Catholic church in Woodlawn area of St. Pete. (mother of a friend) Mass was almost completely in Polish; priest and assistant sang beautifully. Hope this helps.

dawn marie April 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Looking for Paska bread and nut bread..not having any luck. Anyone with any ideas?

Sue H December 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Looking for a hot dog as good as Kowalski in Mich, anyone know where I can find one?

Sherry February 11, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I am trying to call the store to place an order but the number listed is a fax?

Hilton Kean Jones February 11, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Is this number better: (727) 526-1118 ???

Sherry February 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm

That is the number that doesn’t work.

Hilton Kean Jones February 12, 2013 at 4:28 am

OK. That’s the only number Google has for them. I’m not sure what to suggest.

Lotr Thyronx January 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Pretty Good is Polish Food GORAL in Port Richey Florida.
GORAL Polish 4108 US Hgwy 19 N.Port Richey
I’m shopping in there every week.
They have everything even czech Předměřická mouka HRUBÁ a POLOHRUBÁ. Smoked fish, smoked meats, a lot of sausiges, salamy, just about everything.

Vasile Mujat May 21, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Do you ship out of state? I no longer live in Tampa Fl and used to stop at your store and buy kielbasa.

Hilton Kean Jones June 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Sorry, but this isn’t the store’s website. I don’t think they have one. This is just a website that gave a very positive review to the store.